This is a staple side dish in Norway. Before I went vegan I used to eat potato dumplings with rutabaga mash and smoked or salted pork/lamb. Now as a vegan I still serve them with rutabaga mash and dishes that are smokey and/or salty, like tempeh bacon and seitan sausages . You can view my video of how to make it at YouTube by clicking here. For the ingredients and directions see below.
- 10 potatoes
- 400 gram (1 & 1/2 – 2 cups) of barley flour or whatever flour you have at hand
- Pinch of salt & pepper (optional)
- Bouillon cube (optional)
1. Peel and grate the potatoes. Remove the excess water. Add 100 grams (about half a cup) of flour at a time until the dough gets shapeable. I ended up using 400 grams (almost 2 cups). Shape into balls the size of golfballs.
2. Place a bouillon cube in a large pan of water and boil the potato dumplings for about 1 hour. You can place a wooden spoon over the pan if it keeps boiling over.
3. Serve warm with your favorite vegan dish and enjoy!
Yes I forgot a picture of the bouillon in the beginning of the video. ^_-
Special thanks to grandma for teaching me how to make this. 😀